Appalling Farrago

A blog about stuff

Apprentice.IO - Week 4

06 Jul 2014

I’ve completed the final week of my first month as an apprentice at thoughtbot. It’s been incredible so far and I’m excited to get started with my next mentor Blake.

This week Dan and I were working on optimizing the JavaScript front end of a client application written in backbone. It had this horrifying behaviour where in the android version of mobile chrome, the app would grind to a halt. From page load to the app becoming intractable was a whopping 24 seconds! We ended up using chrome’s remote debugging capabilities to diagnose the issue and discovered after some exploration that the issue was coming from excessive repaints of the screen, not, as we had initially thought, from long running JavaScript processes. A repaint is when the browser marks elements as having a visual change and needs to tear down what has been rendered and replace it with the new visuals. One of the first things we tried to narrow down the issue was remove all css. The app immediately sped up so we started looking for what could be causing the excessive repaints. Turns out, box-shadow is notorious for causing these constant, expensive repaints and we happened to have the main element of the app have an inset box-shadow. Now this wouldn’t usually be an issue, however, whenever anything inside this main element was changed, the browser would require a repaint. As the whole application was essentially inside this element, the browser seemed to be queuing up repaints before the previous repaint had finished leading to our 24 second lockout time. Removing the box shadow was like night and day, bringing the time before the app was interactive down to 3 seconds. Far more reasonable.

I need to probably spend some time reading up on css optimizations as removing one line of code here lend to a dramatic effect on this application. The surprising thing was that the behaviour was only exhibiting on mobile chrome for android. I presume other versions of chrome (and indeed other browsers) handle multiple repaints more intelligently. More research is required!

Aside from working on client work, I’ve also been pairing with another apprentice on switchboard, the previously mentioned internal app for managing projects. This has been awesome as I’m managing to solidify a lot of my understanding of ember through teaching. It’s also been great for experiencing working on a project with members all over the country. It’s also taught me to get work into code review sooner rather then later as the support from other developers is phenomenal. The smaller the commit the better. This really isn’t practical when working on larger features though, so making sure I’ve discussed the feature throughly with the whole team before writing a single line of code leads to far fewer suggestions when I submit a pull request.

comments powered by Disqus